4.09.2009

Shad's birthday

So Shad had a milestone birthday in April, and I had grandiose plans as to what I was going to do for it.  To make a long story short, I had the opportunity to attend and take pictures of the birth of a friend's little boy early that same morning, so my original plans for Shad's birthday didn't quite come to pass.  But Shad was more than happy to share his day.


I'm grateful for Shad's selflessness.

Shad had started making his own birthday morning breakfast shortly after I got home from the birth.


I'm grateful for Shad's motivation to get things done.

I took over and finished making breakfast, and we all sat down and enjoyed a nice breakfast with two additional members at the table (siblings of the new arrival).


I'm grateful for Shad's willingness to share.

Normally in our house, we open gifts first thing in the morning (before breakfast even), but after we had finished eating, there wasn't enough time because Shad had to go to work.


I'm grateful for Shad's patience.

I'm not sure it's fair that he still has to go to work on his birthday.  Drake couldn't wait to help him open his presents when he got home that evening.


I'm grateful that Shad is always willing to let the kids help him with things, even if it slows him down.

Graham and Avery kind of helped too.


I'm grateful that Shad loves our kids.

After presents, we went out to dinner and then came back home for pie.


I'm grateful for Shad's smart brain and his dedication to his education, which is what ultimately led to his getting hired at a good job.  If smarts are genetic, our kids will get it all from him.

Shad requested blackberry pie instead of a cake.


I'm grateful that Shad is willing to try new things.

Instead of cutting it out with cookie cutters to make it more presentable, I lamely decided to just squish the number "30" with the remaining dough, so it looked a little awkward.


I'm grateful that Shad will eat whatever I make without complaining.

Drake helped blow out the candles.  I wonder what Shad wished for...


I'm grateful that Shad and I have similar goals and values in life.

I love you Shad, in all your glory.


And I'm grateful that you love me.

I'm eternally grateful that you were born.

Happy birthday.



2 comments:

Gordita said...

I love the pie with squishy numbers. I really enjoyed reading about Shad's birthday. I'm glad he makes you so happy. Everyone needs a Shad.

Anne said...

You are a wonderful blogger and have a wonderful family.