3.17.2009

a 2-wheeler

About a year ago, or more, we bought this little bike for Drake at a garage sale for $3.00, but it didn't have any training wheels.  So I bought some training wheels for it.  Then it sat in our garage through that spring, summer, fall, and now winter.


When Drake asked me last week if his friend's dad could put the training wheels on his bike, I figured it was time we finally did it.  Note to self: leave something undone for a year, and your kid may decide you're not capable of doing it.


He was so excited for his first solo ride.


Graham jumped on the tricycle and followed right along.


Shad took them down to almost the end of our street.


And a first ride wouldn't have been complete without a crash.


Apparently Drake started going a little too fast for his own good and tipped over.  Drake wasn't as happy during the return trip.


But Drake got over the mishap pretty quick.  Him and Graham really enjoy riding bikes together out back.


And I'm really enjoying weather that's been nice enough to allow outside fun.



8 comments:

Gordita said...

Drake looks like such a grown up little boy with his briefs showing in that first picture. And now he's riding a bike! How exciting.

Anne said...

love these parenting moments.

Tara said...

Wow. Drake is sure growing up fast! I remember having to force Jordan to learn to ride his bike. He never wanted to learn. He liked watching the kids in the neighborhood, but never wanted to do it himself. I'm pleased that Drake wants to, and Graham will be close behind!

Oh, and I doubt that this is the last time your kids think you are incapable of doing something. Sad (and totally cute), but true. ;)

Melissa said...

Sorry I took so long to get back to you! You left a comment on my blog a while ago asking about what camera I use, it's a Canon EOS 5D, with a 50mm f/1.4 lens. I'm guessing you could also get really good photos with a Canon 50D, 40D, or even a Rebel if you get a good lens. The lens makes all the difference. (the smaller the f/#, the better the depth of field will be in your photos) I'm sure equivalent Nikon cameras would do equally as well too (the Nikon D40, D60, D80, or D90 from what I've heard, but I don't know much about Nikons). Feel free to email me if you have any questions! soymelissasmith@gmail.com

And thanks for your comment!

Andrea said...

Sweet deal on the bike. I totally remember riding my big wheel, too. It seems just like yesterday my dad was teaching me how to ride a bike, and now we're teaching our kids - what?! I hate being thir....you know.

Melissa said...

I'm trying to figure out how you recorded that so closely and so smoothly-- either you can walk backwards extremely gracefully or you zoomed out very consistently? I love how you capture great moments- from the toy room, to the kids doing Avery's hair, to their bicycle experience.

Melissa said...

uh oh- there's another Melissa :)

periwinkle4 said...

oh the joys and pains of growing! he's such a cutie!