6.16.2010

fun with family part 1


We made our yearly summer trip to Colorado again, but decided to break up the drive a little more by staying at Little America along the way.

We were hoping to be able to take the kids swimming, but the pool was outside.

An outside pool in the Spring in Wyoming doesn't translate to anything warm or inviting.

So we just played on the little playground for a while instead.


Our room had a very old, colonial feel to it.

But it was still nice and clean.

I think the kids enjoyed the novelty of staying somewhere besides a home.

And they couldn't get enough of the in-room entertainment. They never (literally) watch any TV shows at home, so this was a huge treat in itself.

Our original plan to have the kids all sleep in the big room and us sleep in our own bed off to the side didn't work out.... we ended up sharing the two big beds with the kids.

I think it was about midnight when both Shad and I were laying in our beds, wide awake, thinking, "If we had just kept driving, we'd almost be there by now...."

Although it was nice to break up the trip a little and not drive for such a long amount of time, I don't know that we'd do it again.

I did like being able to drive during daylight hours the entire time though. And we got to see a double rainbow the next morning.

Once we arrived it was just fun to hang out.





This is now our most recent, unofficial family picture that I hurried to get before the kids changed their clothes after church.

Sunday was the birthday of two of my nephews, who are brothers born exactly four years apart.

So it was fun to celebrate with them.


Graham chillin' with Uncle Dan.

Video from the festivities.

Melissa with her newest addition--love the hair.



We had root beer floats for dessert instead of cake and ice cream.


I thought it was a great idea.

It's fun just being with family, no matter what you do.





This was a wild rabbit we spotted during an evening walk. I used to love to try and catch these when I was younger. We succeeded just once, but eventually let it go.




After the kids were in bed, we ate pistachios and played games.

The next day was Denver Zoo day.






I love it when these two holds hands.




Lunch.






I didn't participate in this, but I tried to capture everyone's amazing talent.







I like the bright colors of flamingos.

Avery was very worried about walking across this "bridge", which wasn't really a bridge so much as a path that just looked like one. I eventually went over and held her hand because her worries only continued to increase.


Tired of walking so much.

A demonstration... the last big thing we looked at before heading back to the cars.


It was a fun day. And don't worry, there are plenty more pictures of the rest of our trip.

To be continued...




1 comment:

Madeline said...

Little America was like an oasis in the desert when I was growing up! We would get their 10 cent icecream cones. We also got stranded their overnight a few times!