9.24.2009

last of the yard work/gardening


As fall continues to arrive, we still have work to do outside.

We finally picked everything that was left in the garden, and finished up some yard work to get ready for winter.

As always, our kids were right there helping out. Graham is very good at watching.

Avery helps move things around.

And Drake is the comedy relief.

We got a ton of onions. This was Drake's favorite onion because it was so tall.

We got a bunch of corn. We ate a lot of it fresh, but I froze the rest of it.

Shad helped speed up the process a lot.

Our kids love corn on the cob.

Especially this little girl, and she still only has six teeth.

We got a decent amount of carrots from the kids' garden.

I like fresh-from-the-garden carrots a lot more than store-bought.



Cabbage...

Overload of squash....

most of which was not intentionally planted.

Peppers...


Tomatoes...

When we needed to bring our tomatoes in because of impending frost, I suggested we just hang the entire plant up in our basement because we were limited on space. I don't recommend it and probably won't do it again. But it was fun to have a tomato jungle for a couple weeks.

My favorite tomato of the summer is this California Gold variety.

We thought we'd try it, and sure enough, it's a gold tomato.

I even prefer the taste of it. We'll definitely plant orange tomatoes again.

I'll miss the nice warm weather for the kids to run around in.

I won't miss grass stains.

Drake and Graham will miss the lawnmower.

One night when we were out weeding, I picked some daisies and took a picture of sweet Avery.

Graham told her she looked pretty, then she handed the flowers over to me.

Proof I do exist.

I'm grateful for Shad and all his hard work, and that he involves the kids in everything we do.


Okay, no more gardening posts... I think.


No comments: