5.26.2008

Memorial Day Memories

I always enjoy Memorial Day and the opportunity to go visit the grave sites of ancestors. Growing up, it was neat to see the names on the headstones and know that I was somehow related to this person or that person. But my fondest Memorial Day memories are of the times my family would go and visit the grave of my own brother, Brandon Christopher Dyer. Every year on Memorial Day, and other days as well, we would drive as a family to the Salt Lake Cemetery to remember my brother, and place flowers and a pinwheel by his grave. Brandon was born less than two years after me, but lived for only two months before returning to his Father in heaven. Because I can't make it down to the cemetery this year, I thought I'd show a couple pictures I found of days gone by. Have a wonderful Memorial Day!

1 comment:

Head Over Hills said...

I think memorial day is such a wonderful opportunity to remember those we love that have passed on. We had a family home evening lesson about some of our loved ones tonight. We really want the girls to have memories of their relatives and then we talked about being together forever. Sometimes I wonder how much sinks in for them. It was neat to read your post about the memories you have of visiting your brother's grave. It seems like such a sweet memory. It gives me hope that my girls will also have similar meaningful memorial days remembering those we love. I'm glad you had a good day.